"My business is not to remake myself, But to make the absolute best of what God made."

~Robert Browning


Friday, May 7, 2010

A Letter to My Mother

"My Mom has always been one of my biggest supporters and the wisdom she has given me over the years has helped shaped the person I am today."
~Catherine Pulsifer

Dear Mom,

I am so lucky to have you as my mother. You are one of my best friends. I love talking to you every day. The few occasions where we didn’t talk I felt like I was missing something. My day wasn’t complete. But we always manage to find each other the next day. I can’t remember one time in which we didn’t laugh while talking on the phone. I look forward to talking to you everyday. I love visiting with you.

I appreciate how you taught me respect, to have work ethics, to be honorable and to have integrity. You taught me so many things without even knowing it. You have taught me to be strong in times of great trials. You taught me to be respectful and act like a lady in public. You taught me to compromise and at times hold my ground. You taught me to laugh each day. Because of you I am a better mother and grandmother.

I want to offer you an apology. I know I have said this before, but I want you to know how sincere I am. I am sorry for those times (in my early years) that I didn’t show you the respect you deserved. I am sorry for the times I thought the world revolved around me and proceeded to act like a brat. I am sorry when my tone was less than kind. I am sorry for every time I rolled my eyes or sighed like you didn’t have a clue. You obviously had all the clues…but you let me learn some lessons on my own. Thank you for that.

Thank you for being the kind of mother that no matter what…I can come to you. Thank you for accepting my apology when I let a dirty word slip out in your presence. You deserve more respect than that. Thank you for not turning your back on me and loving me as I am. Thank you for not criticizing me in brutal ways, but talking to me in ways of love and kindness. You always are looking out for my best interest. You politely (sometimes without a word) let me know if I am out of line with my thinking….thank you….Thank you for being the best MEMAW my girls and Cali could ever ask for.

I have so many wonderful memories of you and with you. You are my light, my comfort and my truth teller. I love Christmas times around your home. The smile on your face as the grandchildren and great grandchildren are screaming as they open their gifts. I will never forget Cali screaming “I always wanted panties.” (Like she didn’t have a ton already.) I love talking about our road trip to California. Wow! You, me, a young adult, 2 teenagers and a 9 month old what were we thinking? We survived. We had a great time and great memories from our trip. I love that you, me, Becky and Hailey experienced New York together. Your children, grandchildren and great grandchildren seem to give you an extra zest. You have blessed me with the zest of life.

God gave me a special gift. He gave me you. I love taking classes with you, taking girl trips or mini trips to OK. Thank you for being the best mom anyone could ask for. Thank you for introducing me to the Church when I was so young.

I love you. You are my best friend. I hope I am half the mother you are.

Your loving daughter,

Donna

“All that I am or ever hope to be, I owe to my angel Mother.” ~Abraham Lincoln

No comments:

Post a Comment